Often overlooked, the first and third base coaches on a baseball team exist without much notoriety. Personally, I only know the base coaches for the Cubs at any given time. I've always thought it would be a pretty demeaning position for an ex-player. You have to wear the whole uniform (and a weird helmet now); little league dads don't even have to do that. Ever wonder how much they make? Me, too. This FanGraphs post from 2015 says first base coaches make between $100,000-$110,000 and third base coaches make $130,000-$140,000. Would you dress up as a baseball player for $100,000?
Alright, here is a list of notable base coaches in the game right now. This was motivated by a discussion on our podcast a few months ago with our friend Andy. While attending a game at Petco Park, he noticed that Trevor Hoffman's older brother Glenn was coaching third base for the Padres. I would say he's unqualified for the position, but there aren't really any qualifications for the job. Here are some other notable base coaches.
- Ruben Amaro- Former Phillies GM is the Red Sox first base coach.
- Omar Vizquel- 11-time Gold Glove winner is the Tigers first base coach.
- Rusty Kuntz- Royals first base coach stepped down on Tuesday due to vision issues. Instrumental in 2015 World Series run.
- Rocco Baldelli- First base coach for the team he came up with, the Rays. Just 35 years old.
- Chip Hale- Managed the Diamondbacks from 2015-2016. Now the A's third base coach.
- Tony Pena- Former Royals manager (2002-2005). Third base coach for the Yankees.
- Ron Roenicke- Brewers manager (2011-2015) turned third base coach for the Dodgers and now the Angels.
- Ron Washington- How hard is it to manage the Rangers for eight seasons and then settle for the Braves third base coach job? Tell him, Wash.
- Tom Goodwin- Speedster stole 369 bases for six MLB teams. Now the first base coach for the Mets, who were not one of them.
- Mickey Morandini- Love me some Mickey content. Phillies first base coach.
- Phil Nevin- Hit 41 homers for the Padres in 2001. Now the Giants third base coach. Buster Posey is not happy about it.
- Davey Lopes- First base coach for the Nationals. Played in MLB for 16 seasons, including 10 with LA.
- Fredi Gonzalez- Managed the Marlins (2007-2010) and Braves (2011-2016). Now back with the Marlins as their third base coach.
- Perry Hill- First base coach for five different organizations, including three stints with the Marlins.